Devonshire Buildings

Serviced Apartments available

 

 

Background:

The serviced apartments have been launched almost 150 years since the Devonshire Buildings were originally built.

The two imposing red sandstone buildings owned by the Holker Estate, were built in the 1870’s to house workers at the Devonshire Docks and the Barrow Iron Ship Building Company, the first ship building company to be based in Barrow.  

Today, the Devonshire Buildings which comprise over one hundred residential apartments, are still being used for the purpose for which they were originally designed.  Following a programme of recent extensive refurbishments, a number of apartments have now been smartly furnished to provide fully serviced accommodation which can be let on an ultra-flexible week by week basis.  Their central location on Michaelson Road opposite BAE has led to a high demand, particularly with BAE contractors.  

The Paley and Austin designed, Grade II* listed buildings provide larger-than-average accommodation with the most unusual feature being found in the popular ‘corner apartments’. These are located on one of the octagonal towers on the ends of each block, where there was originally a bridge spanning Island Road.

Rachel Bagshaw, Group Property Manager for the Holker Estate commented “We knew that there was a requirement for accommodation in and around Barrow, particularly in the short term lettings market, so we decided to trial the letting of a small number of serviced apartments and see how they went. The interest was phenomenal so we have since released a further number of the fully serviced apartments.”